Thursday, April 23, 2009

ODE TO THE LI'L PIGGY

Just this evening, I saw a piglet caught in fire
As its helpless mother stood watching the flames go higher
There was nothing much she could do
Other than grunt and try to get the piglet out too.
The little one was screaming its lungs out
As its fur charred and skin caught fire
I’m sure it must have felt horrible
Because that little thing was just a week or two old.
There was another baby circling the mothers leg she looked shaken too,
As she stayed close to her protector
The fire was set by some heartless people
While the nursing pig and the others slept in the bushes.

Few people came to the rescue
The minute the heard the grunts, which grew
And fought the fire
With buckets of water.
But that was way too late
For the trapped little pig
Whose body was charred as it lay still
Nothing could be done to get it back to life

As the smoke subsided,
I watched the pig run towards the spot
I thought she was heading towards the dead piglet
But when I saw her walk past it did I realize
In a bush, further away,
Stood a little piglet, hidden by the leaves
As it saw its mother approach,
The little piggy followed her.
There were just two tiny survivors of the fire,
The mother and the 2 piggys whose bravery to stay put, I admire.

No comments: